H104 K Pop and SHINee with Dubu and Bianse
Click to stream or right-click, “save as” to download.
Grab your church lady hats and pastel skinny jeans! Because the /Report is about to get fantastic elastic. This week, Dubu and B are discussing the colorful K-pop quintet that is SHINee. Join us as we ruminate over the finer points of a fandom that has brought us countless instances of gender confusion, mesmerizing bouts of pelvic thrusting, and an album with a visual concept that can be best described as “gay 70s porno”. We will do our best to answer questions such as “Why is K-pop different from Western pop?”, “How did five sparkly teenage boys bring all the noonas to the yard?”, “How can dick pics be tactfully deployed to resolve fandom wars?” and “Seriously, what the fuck is a Shawol?” (Answer: Nothing good).
Fic Recs for this week:
- Amygdala by the inteval [Jonghyun/Minho]
- Learning to Let Go by neezoy [Minho/Key]
- Where It’s Lost, It’s Found by Reid [Jonghyun/Key]
- Baseless Desires by black_goose [Jongyun/Minho/Key]
- The Name I Loved by chiharu [Jongyun/Minho/Key]
- Deciduous by linnhe [Minho-centric]
- Royal Game of India by phasera [Onew/Minho]
- Jonghyun’s UFO replies to his fans이 바보야 (╯°□°）╯︵ ┻━┻)
- SHINee’s One Fine Day Travel Show A good introductory show to get to know the boys.
- Jonghyun and Taemin sing “Internet War The moment SHINee fandom imploded.
- Jonghyun sings “A Million Roses” He cried profusely afterward much to the glee of Dubu and B.
- Jonghyun sings a song he arranged and wrote the lyrics for, “It’s Late” AKA THE SONG ALL SHINEE FANS WANT ON AN ALBUM BUT SM HATES US,
- SHINee – “Symptoms” Also written by Jonghyun. Everyone wanted this as a title track, but again SM hates us.
- A compilation of Onew singing trot songs This is basically “old people” music in Korea, but he sings it so well!
- Minho being serenaded by his labelmates Changmin and Kyuhyun This dude loves older men.
- A fan video of Key and Taemin by Cosmicaa R.I.P. Cosmicaa. Her videos were so HD ::sobs::
- Probably the best known Jonghyun fansite and an example of how amazing Korean noona fans are.
- Jonghyun being an ASSHAT Showing us why he’s #1 in fan service
- Onew’s bread song The best song ever written by a K-pop star. Ever.
- The Ring Ding Dong fanchant
- In which SHINee fans and BBC Sherlock fans clashed over the Sherlock tag on tumblr Lots of the links are broken but you can still get the gist of it.
- SHINee’s “Dream Girl” music video
- SHINee’s “Replay/Noona, You’re So Pretty” music videoTheir debut mv and song.